Yesterday, directly after the new OS Version was available, I started the download.
Unfortunately it took some time, as Microsoft Servers seemed to be a little bit overloaded.
Anyway, after half a day I had the update on ready for install on my Laptop and my Tablet.
First I have to say, my Laptop is was running Windows 8 Enterprise, so the update procedure was a little different:
- Download the ISO image from the Volume Licensing Portal
- Suspend Bitlocker Drive Encryption for Partition C:\
- Start the installation within Windows (I used a USB-Stick*, as I was not sure if it would work in case I just mounted the ISO)
- I was going through the Wizard, which told me that all my Apps will be lost (ok, so my Laptop would be faster)
- After pressing the finish button, it took like 30min to install Windows 8.1
- My settings and files (Domain Account, Windows Account, Personal Files and even installed security certificates) have been preserved.
- Now that the upgrade was done, I reinstalled Office, Antivirus, etc. and resumed the Bitlocker Drive Encryption.
- Easy and smooth 🙂
* The Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool is available for free and still working with Windows 8.1
With my Tablet (running the 32bit Version) the upgrade was a little easier:
- After opening the Store, I selected the Windows 8.1 update
- The installation started immediately after the download finished
- After 30min, I got the screens with the usual questions: Agree Terms of Service, Allow Location, etc.
- With this installation, all settings and files have been preserved (even Desktop Apps like iTunes)
- Did I say before easy and smooth? It was a lie… this installation was easy and smooth!
Enjoy upgrading folks!